BECOME A CITIZEN ARCHIVIST
Do you have a couple of hours a month to volunteer from home?! If so then YOU TOO can become a Citizen Archivist! Consider volunteering for the Historical Society of Cheshire County to transcribe letters and diaries to make them accessible to the public.
HOW IT WORKS:
1. We post a letter that needs adopting on our Citizen Archivist Facebook page.
2. You indicate that you’d like to adopt it in the comments section of the post.
3. We’ll send you a scanned copy of the original letter/diary entry along with some background information about the person and instructions for transcribing.
4. You email it back to us and we’ll send it to Keene State College’s to post online.
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING:
1. You’ll be providing public access to the personal narrative of a man or woman who lived years ago.
2. You’ll have a cool new title, Citizen Archivist.
3. You’ll have your name published online beside the transcription you created.
4. You’ll be volunteering for an amazing NH non-profit, The Historical Society of Cheshire County, whose goal is to provide an place for people to make discoveries and connect to local history– which is totally priceless.
BACKGROUND ON THE PROJECT:
The NH Citizen Archivist Initiative was funded by the National Historical Publications & Records Commission– The National Archives and remains a collaboration between the Historical Society of Cheshire County, Keene State College, the NH State Archives, the NH State Library, regional schools, and the general public.