Monadnock Moments No. 64: Granite State Mowers
In the 1830s Cyrus Newhall opened a machine shop in the town of Hinsdale, New Hampshire. Some twenty years later the firm became known as Newhall & Stebbins when Lorenzo Stebbins became part owner. Shortly thereafter, in 1860, the company began to manufacture Granite State Field mowing machines. These mowers soon became very popular and Granite State mowers were produced in Hinsdale for the next 100 years.
The company was purchased by William S. Howe in 1911. Under his management Granite State Mowers gained a national prominence. By the 1950s the firm was making hand and power lawn mowers which were shipped to all parts of the world. The company last appeared in business directories in the 1960s, thus ended more than a century of manufacture for Hinsdale’s Granite State Mowers.