Built by Captain Isaac Wyman in 1762 and operated as a tavern by his family for 40 years, the Wyman Tavern is one of the most historic buildings in Cheshire County and is one of the oldest surviving houses in southwestern New Hampshire. The Trustees of Dartmouth College under President Eleazar Wheelock held their first meeting in the northeast parlor on October 22, 1770. On April 22, 1775, twenty-nine Keene Minutemen gathered there to march to Lexington at the outbreak of the American Revolution. From 1818 to 1873, the Rev. Zedekiah Smith Barstow, who served for fifty years as minister of Keene’s First Church, made his home there as a parsonage. Salmon Chase, Secretary of the Treasury in President Lincoln’s cabinet and the sixth chief justice of the United States, went to school there. The house is an example of eighteenth-century domestic architecture that documents the transmission of architectural norms from southern New England into northern New England. It also demonstrates the transition from the eighteenth-century or Georgian architectural style into the Federal style.
During the summer months, the Wyman Tavern is open for docent-led tours, and tours can be arranged by appointment from June through August. There is a $3 per person admission fee to visit the tavern, with Historical Society members admitted free.
You can underwrite a week of operating the Wyman Tavern and become a Tavern Keeper by making a $300 contribution. To become a Tavern Keeper, click here.